15 Questions to Ask Yourself to Discover Your True Passions
One of the most exciting parts of living authentically is getting to design your life around the things you love most! In the last lesson, we talked about your values. Today, we’ll add your passions to your quest for self-discovery.
If you’re lucky, you’ve already discovered your passions in life and have devoted much of your life to fulfilling dreams and goals related to things that bring excitement and joy.
However, maybe you’ve not yet connected with activities, skills, and interests that ignite your passion. It takes time, soul-searching, and some life experience to identify your true passions. So, to get your thoughts, ideas, and desires flowing, explore the following questions.
These prompts will help you tap into your wants, needs, desires, and fantasies. Have fun with them. Who knows? By the time you reach the end of these questions, you may have identified your true passions!
- What’s the one thing I’ve always wanted to do since I was a child? If you still want to do it, explore what would need to happen in order for you to carry through with this long-sought wish.
- If I could spend today doing whatever I wanted, what would I be doing? Let your mind go. It could be something related to your work, your home, or simply a lark.
- Where do I really want to live—the city and the type of residence? Perhaps you’re already fulfilling this passion and you do live in your true first choice. If not, ponder the possibilities of moving to a place you’ll love.
- What is something I would like to explore that no one knows about? Perhaps you’re harboring a secret yearning to visit Washington, D.C. or Westminster Abbey in London. The streets of Hong Kong may be calling your name or even the Grand Canyon. Can you make it happen?
- What do I talk about doing but never do, or even take any steps toward completing the wish? In a conversation, you might state something like, “For the last 10 years, I’ve really wanted to take a cruise to the Caribbean.”
- What are my reasons for not going after my dreams? It’s time to explore within yourself why you haven’t pursued the life you want.
- How will I finish the sentence, “More than anything, before I die, I want to ___________?” Say it out loud and fill in the blank. Then, figure out a way to accomplish your wish.
- What are the things in my life that I would like to get rid of? If you’re discovering you don’t love everything about your life, maybe it’s time to do some “housecleaning.” Make a list of the ways you’d like your life to change.
- Which people in my life inspire me and why? It’s important to know who inspires you so you can spend more time with them. What is it about them that lights you up so much? Decide to take every step to get inspired more often. You’ll find your passions this way.
- If I were to make just one radical change in my life right now to make life better, what would it be? Your answer to this question will really open up your possibilities. Moving to a bigger city might really spice up your life. Getting more education might be a goal—plus you’ll likely make more money.
- You’ll be happier if you chase your dreams. Make 1 change.
- How do I feel when I put all my effort into accomplishing a goal I’ve chosen? Notice these feelings. You’ll no doubt want to experience them more often.
- How do I feel whenever I achieve a life goal? Awesome, probably.
- What’s missing from my life? Answering this question requires considerable soul-searching.
- Who are my biggest supporters? It’s wise to know the people that will stand behind you and help you pursue your passions, no matter what.
- Who gets in the way of me achieving my goals? In order to find your true passions, you might be required to disengage from those who are dragging you down.
If you take the time to thoroughly ponder each of these questions, you’ll be pleased with what you find. Your true passions are just waiting to be discovered!
Finding your passions is one of the most enjoyable tasks in learning to live authentically. Knowing your passions helps clarify your self-concept. However, there are several more things that work together to form your self-concept. In the next part of your journey to authenticity, you’ll get to give yourself a self-concept makeover. But first, we’ll pause for summary and reflection.
Here’s what you need to do today:
In your journal, write down your answers to these 15 questions. Continue to brainstorm and write down any more passions that come to mind.